I just love the combination! Cue mouth drooling.
Mmmm just the sweetness of the figs, the saltiness of the blue cheese and the acidity of the caramelised onions. These flavours are a match made in heaven.
GET IN MY BELLY!
3 red onions (sliced)
1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
320g pre rolled puff pastry sheet
2 fresh figs (sliced)
80g blue cheese
50g chopped walnuts
1 egg (egg wash)
- Pre heat the oven to 180°.
- In a pan, heat a glug of oil and saute the red onions until translucent.
- Now to caramelise the onions. Add the sugar and balsamic vinegar, simmering until the balsamic reduces and becomes sticky.
- On a lined baking tray, roll out the sheet of puff pastry and score a border, 1 inch in from the edge.
- Brush the egg wash around the border before adding the caramelised onion to the centre. Spread evenly over the puff pastry.
- Now place the fig slices over the caramelised onion, followed by crumbling the blue cheese and walnuts over the tart.
- Place the tart in the oven for 20-25 mins or until the puff pastry is golden.
Serve with kumara / sweet potato chips.