The Veggie Stack
Summer BBQ’s don’t always have to be about meat. Get creative and throw some of your favourite summer vegetables onto the grill as a great vegetarian alternative.
My boyfriend hates when I cook with aubergine but this combo seemed to get the thumbs up.
2 medium aubergine
3 capsicums (any colour)
ball of fresh mozzarella (sliced)
a handful of fresh basil
2 tablespoons of basil pesto
balsamic glaze (dressing)
- Pre heat the BBQ on a medium heat.
- Place the whole capsicums onto the BBQ. Grill for 20 minutes, or until the skin is charred and the capsicum has become soft. Allow the capsicum to cool before removing the skin and inner seeds. Slice into strips and place aside for later.
- Slice the eggplants and courgettes into 1 cm strips, brush with olive oil and season with salt before placing on the grill. Cook the eggplant and courgette strips for around 5 mins each side. Avoid turning them more than once as you won’t get that distinctive grill mark.
- Now to create the stacks. Begin with a slice of eggplant on the bottom, followed by grilled courgette, capsicum, eggplant, mozzarella, fresh basil and then finally eggplant.
- Serve with a teaspoon of basil pesto and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.